Thursday, February 27, 2014

Polly's Pies

Two days ago we were at Carson Street close to Harbor General Hospital when we came across Polly's Pies.  There were 4 of us and though I was familiar with the restaurant, my 3 companions have not heard of it. I knew that their pies were supposed to be good though I have never tried any of them. I have tried their oatmeal raisin cookies and they are chewy and delicious.

We got there past 4:00 p.m. so this was a late lunch early dinner. Alma ordered a chicken dumpling soup and a Tuna Sandwich which was served with mashed potatoes with country gravy. Erik had the Avocado Burger & Friends. Some of the friends were: tomato, lettuce, alfalfa sprouts and mayonnaise. This is usually served on a bun but Erik requested toasted sour dough bread instead; this came with a small cup of creamed spinach. Raymond and I decided on something new they just added to the menu; Jambalaya Pie. Everyone seemed to like what they ordered. The Jambalaya took the "pie."  Spicy meat and vegetables cooked with a variety of smoked sausages, chicken, ham, celery, red & green bell peppers, onions cooked with Cajun style spices all simmered in a Creole sauce wrapped in Polly's flaky pie crust. The pie was served with Louisiana rice. I don't know if we were all just too hungry in which case most anything is delicious but hunger aside, it really was very good. It was spicy but not too spicy. I would go back and get that again.





We were all full but we thought it would be a crime not to try the pies and since we were all law abiding citizens, we voted on ordering 2 kinds of pies and sharing them. We ordered a slice of Peach Pie and a piece of the Apple Crisp with ice cream on the side. The waiter asked if we wanted them heated and while I said no, the 2 said yes.....who ever invented the rule: majority rules?! For some strange reason, I don't like my pies warm. Another sacrifice on my part...getting ready for lent. The pies arrived and as we were all excited, we just dug in.  In my excitement, I completely forgot to take pictures of the pies. Not to worry, I will buy a whole pie so you will be able to get the picture.
Till then, you will just have to take my word for it; it's honest to goodness pie.....envision your grandmother baking .....envision Polly.

Polly's Pies have multiple locations. We went to the one at 819 W. Carson St. in Torrance, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment