Sunday, February 16, 2014

J Sweets Heavenly Mochi

Most of you have heard of Mochi ice cream as they sell these at supermarkets and Trader Joe's in the frozen section.

May I introduce you to the Mochi of Mochis. You can't miss this store inside Mitsuwa Market in Torrance. The mochi store is called J Sweets and the company that makes the mochi is Tokyo Ginza Rokumeikan. They have a variety of fruit flavored mochi balls and miniature mochi donuts.




I have been there three times to try as much as I can. First of all I have to tell you these heavenly mochi are not cheap. The price ranges from $1.80 to $2.30 each. So far I have tried 10 flavors. The consistency is nothing I have ever had before except for the ones my friend Lorly used to bring me straight from Japan which had the fresh strawberry inside, I believe they were called Ichigo Daifuku. These mochi are sold frozen since they come directly from Japan. They tell you it is ready to be enjoyed in 10-15 minutes. They also say it has to be consumed within 24-48 hours. If you freeze them as soon as you get home (in a Ziploc) they are fine and can still be enjoyed days later. I can't really say weeks after as I haven't had the opportunity to try that.

All mochi are soft and fluffy as cotton balls and inside, most of them have flavored white bean (I didn't know this), whipped cream and the fruit flavor. Some of them do not have the white bean flavor. On your first bite, you will understand what I mean...if you happen to pick the flavor you like, it is truly like you died a happy death and zoomed up to heaven!

I will start with my favorite ones. Caramel Macchiato is the best; it's like drinking a chocolate coffee truffle, rich and light at the same time. There is something very sensual when eating the mochi; picture Nigela Lawson taking a bite. The next one is the Cafe Au Lait which is also like drinking your morning cafe au lait but creamier than that.


I really enjoyed the Orange Cheese which taste like an orange popsicle, reminded my of my childhood when we used to get them as treats. The Double Mango was also very good but I preferred the Orange. The Peach Yogurt was delicious; think peach pie but silky and very peachy.
The Rum Raisin Cream didn't have enough rum extract but had actual raisins in them. The Honey Cranberry Cream had the right amount of tartness with the whipped cream.


I was not fond of the Caramel Pudding. It was too eggy and rich for my taste. The Apple Pie was interesting. It was like eating a dutch apple pie inside a mochi with the crunchy sugar/cinnamon topping. The White Chocolate was terrible.  It was too sweet. I gave my son and a friend who loves white chocolate one to try and they both didn't like it.

There are still many flavors I have not tried but will slowly and surely try them. I am out of my favorites so I will have to make another trip one of these days.

J Sweets is inside the Mitsuwa Market at 21515 Western Ave. Suite 100 in Torrance, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment