Sunday, May 26, 2013

Invitation at Via Firenze

Our dance instructor Tom, wanted to take me and Sandi out for our birthdays. He had us pick the place as long as it was in our vicinity. Since Sandi and I have been craving Italian food, it was obvious we had to pick Aliotta's Via Firenze in Torrance. My previous blog on this restaurant still holds as it has not disappointed us.
http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2012/11/aliottas-via-firenze.html


We have been there a couple of more times since our last visit last year. Tom, however has never been there. He was in for a surprise. We started out with the warm mini rolls which we enjoyed with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Sandi and I ordered the Vitello Toscana; veal sauteed with garlic, capers, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms in a lemon wine sauce and one of Mike's recommendations which was the Pappardelle Via Firenze which was sauteed with fresh mushrooms, mascapone in a beef ragu sauce.  A perfect combination of the lemony flavor of the veal and saltiness of the ragu sauce especially after I added a ton of Parmesan. Not to worry, Verapamil (blood pressure medication) was on hand. Tom however ordered the special Lobster Ravioli which looked delicious.



Before we ate, I took pictures of our plates and while Sandi was holding my mini flashlight on Tom's Lobster Ravioli, she decided to entertain us by dropping the flashlight on Tom's water. We were all speechless as Tom reached for his fork, I handed him the spoon. The red flashlight looked pretty among the ice as did the luminous water. I am happy to report that the flashlight not only has been cleansed but still works.

Tom seemed to be enjoying his ravioli and since he never offered, I humbly asked if I could try a piece for the blog's sake, after all, I have to know what I'm talking about.
I immediately understood why he didn't want to share. It was delicious!

For dessert, we decided to have the Sacchetto. Cliff, our old time server prepared the crepe by our table along with his torch. The crepe had a creme brulee filling and was served with ice cream, caramel and chocolate sauce.  The picture of the preparation is in my previous blog.



We all enjoyed our meal plus the entertainment. Chef Mike came by to say hello and told us stories of his motorcycle adventures, his dancing and his plans in the future to have a Chef's Table for groups at his restaurant wherein we would have several courses with wine parings. I am excited and can't wait.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment