Friday, May 10, 2013

We Olive

I have my friend Sandi to blame for introducing me to this Olive store.  I dragged my mom along and off we went with Sandi of course to show us the way.  She has never been there either so we were all new to this experience.  When we got there, we saw jugs of extra virgin olive oils and balsamic vinegars with spigots all for the tasting.


Becky came to our rescue as she could tell we looked like we just landed on a deserted island....only it was not deserted.....it was filled with the "unknown".  She explained that we could taste any of the oils either by sipping in little cups or by dipping pieces of cut bread in the oil. I preferred sipping as you could really get the taste. Before you think....Ewww....how can one sip olive oil; let me tell you some of the flavors that made us go crazy in the store. They had Jalapeno Olive Oil, Pineapple White Balsamic, Peach White Balsamic to name a few. These were the ones I bought. Then to make it more confusing, they mixed some of them together and "whoala" you got an even more interesting flavor. You buy the oils in bottles and you get a discount when you come back to refill them. After the 6th bottle, you get the 7th free. When I decided to purchase them, I wasn't even thinking specifics as to where I would use them...I figured....it will come to me.  I later thought it would not only be good as a salad dressing but poured over roasted veggies.

As I walked around the store, I sampled some of the many dips which were all very good but the Parmesan Asiago Dip took the cake. Just as I was ready to have Becky ring me up, something caught my eye..... Skillet Bacon Spread; and yes there was a sample. It was love at first bite! Debby Brooks, the owner got me a jar. Next time I will have to try the "You Stuff It Olives", pitted olives ready to be stuffed on whatever your heart or stomach desires. They even had a gadget next to it so you can do it semi-professionally.


They had all sorts of mustard with interesting combinations. I even remember tasting something made with beets and horseradish which was also delicious.  They had gift items; olive oils wrapped with a dipping mini plate, and several bottles of the oils. These would make great presents anytime. 


We Olive offers classes every Wednesday from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Sandi got all excited as she loves to cook so I encouraged her to go ahead and take a class asap and I will do the eating, although I might be interested in the Salad Dressing classes.


We Olive is located at 4725 E. 2nd St. Suite C in Long Beach, California.  They also have another store at the OC Mix at 3313 Hyland Ave., Costa Mesa.

No comments:

Post a Comment