Saturday, April 14, 2012

Mochi Madness




Do you love mochi? You can get them in all sorts of forms and buy them everywhere but the best ones are still from Japan. So you need to renew your friendship with anyone that is from Japan. Luckily I have Lorly who comes and vistits several times a year and brings me the best stuff.

I already talked about the Champagne Nama chocolates from Royce in my previous blog.
What I haven't talked about is the the ICHIGO DAIFUKU. When we were in Japan a couple of years ago, my brother and I looked all over for Ichigo Daifuku but couldn't find them since strawberries were not in season. These are mochi with fresh stawberries inside. It is fresh and therefore has to be eaten right away. You can't really refrigerate it because the mochi gets hard. The consistency of the mochi is so light that it is like eating cotton balls.

JJ Bakery in Torrance sells them but it is not the same. They have too much mochi and too small of a strawberry plus the mochi is not as light. The ichigo daifuku from Japan's mochi is proportionate to the strawberry.

Lorly also brought me something new. Mochi de Chocolat. They are little balls of chocolate mochi with a chocolate filling which is comparable to a pudding. It is not sweet so you have to eat a few to communicate to your taste buds that you are eating dessert. They are very good and this is something that would go well with a glass of champagne. After all, what dessert doesn't go with champagne?

No comments:

Post a Comment