Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Dinner 2012






Easter dinner was relaxing; well, almost. I only had family over so that in itself makes it less stressful since I don't have to impress anyone. If the dinner turns out wonderful, everyone is pleased. However if it is disastrous they don't have to eat it or they can complain...but who cares?

Luckily, this turned out pretty good. I served Sati Babi which is derived from the Indonesian satay. I used pork tenderloin which was marinated in soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic. I then stuck them on skewers and grilled them. The secret to this dish is the sauce. Most of the recipes have cumin and coriander and brown sugar. Mine is an old recipe that calls for lots of peanut butter. My husband and I are not fond of peanut butter but the sauce transforms to a totally different species.

Sati Babi is best served with Java Rice which is rice cooked with onions, pork, red pepper, peas and tomato paste.

I served our meal with a Jolie 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon. I asked everyone to taste it first before I divulged the origin of this wine. They all thought it was very smooth. This was from Eden Canyon Vineyard, a winery in Paso Robles owned by Filipinos. I know what you are thinking....what do Filipinos know about wine? They usually don't even drink wine in the Philippines. When you have a chance, google Eden Canyon Vineyards and see how they have won many awards for a lot of their wines. Their wines are served at the Bel Air Hotel, Campanile, Spago, Raymond, Pacific Dining Car and a few more fine dining restaurants.

For dessert, we enjoyed a milk and white chocolate mousse with lemon caramel from Patisserie Chantilly and a raspberry tiramisu from Cafe Dulce. Both were excellent and a nice finale to our Easter celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment