Friday, August 5, 2022

Porto's Cheese Rolls

When Milena and Ramon came for dinner a week ago, they each brought me and Sandi a box of Cheese Rolls from Porto's Bakery. Milena warned us that we had to consume them as soon as possible since they are best eaten the same day and were not the same the following day. 

We split one that evening just to say we had it fresh. It was delicious! We knew we could not eat most of it the following days, so we froze most of them. The following morning I heated the toaster oven to 450 degrees. After at least 5 minutes, I put in two cheese rolls and lowered the temperature to 425 degrees. I left it there for three minutes. Note that when you take it out of the oven, it will look sad, perhaps wrinkled a bit and soft to the touch. Wait a minute, and it will turn crispy. We did this for the next few days, and Sandi and I concluded that we preferred it this way. Somehow, it not only brought out the flavor of the wonderful cheese but also got crispier and lighter. If the cheese rolls are frozen be sure to defrost them or leave them out the night before. 

Thank you again, Milena and Ramon. Unfortunately, there is no Porto's Bakery nearby but I just decided that the city of Downey is not too far. I looked at their menu, and the Guava Cheese Rolls and the Empanadas look good, so I will have to make the trip while my partner in crime, Sandi, is still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment