Sunday, August 21, 2022

Doubting Thomas

I read about these Tangerine Rolls in the L.A. Magazine recently. I quote Best of L. A. from Los Angeles Magazine: "Chef-owner Naomi Peteu figured out a unique way to brighten up this ubiquitous pastry (referring to cinnamon buns). She opted for California citrus - often Tahoe Gold tangerines from Friend's Ranch in Ojai or sometimes tangelos - and buttery, pull-apart croissant dough coated with brown sugar and zest. Baking produces a soft core and crispy coat crusted with tangy caramel sauce glazed with tangerine juice and crème fraȋche". After reading this, what person in their right mind would not want to run or drive over there to sample these rolls? I talked to Laura, who lives in downtown L.A. She looked at the map and informed me that this place is close to her home. She, therefore, volunteered to go get some that same morning. She proudly sent me a picture of the boxes in her car. The first thing that entered my mind was when she stepped on the brakes, the boxes would be flying off. So she sent me another picture. This time she buckled them up with the seatbelt. I felt better.

I asked her to buy four. When she got there, she was informed there is a limit of 3 a customer can buy. I was ready to give her my credit card so I would be the second person buying them, but eventually, the salesperson gave in and sold her four. As soon as she got here, we sampled and shared one. Sandi, Laura, and I absolutely loved it! It's literally the best bun/roll I have ever had. It was not sicky sweet like most buns because of the citrus caramel. What a great idea. Chef Naomi is a genius! 

As I was sampling the bun, I was already thinking and planning how I could buy and freeze these babies. I emailed Chef Naomi and also asked her about the name Doubting Thomas. Currently, they do not offer any pre-orders because they are short-staffed and have limited refrigeration space. I was very disappointed! As for the name, Chef Naomi spent a summer in Barcelona, and her favorite patatas bravas bar was called Bar Tomas and vowed if she ever opened a coffee bar in L.A., she would call it Bar Thomas, which made her think of the apostle Thomas. If you recall, Thomas doubted Christ and had to feel his wounds to believe he was Christ. According to Naomi, doubt is something we all relate to, and thought it would provoke conversation by naming the place Doubting Thomas.

We ate 2 pieces the following day, and I am proud to let you know that I have perfected the heating of the buns. You merely preheat the toaster oven to 450 degrees. When hot, you put them in and lower the temperature slightly. Leave them in for 3 minutes watching and making sure the caramel does not burn. Take them out and Voila......thank God for the pleasure of enjoying Tangerine Rolls!

Doubting Thomas is located at 2510 W. Temple St., Filipinotown in Los Angeles. Thank you, Laura, for picking up these rolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment