Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Sweet Rice

Read about this place, and the magic words that got my attention were Sticky Rice and Mangos. Three of us went last week and loved everything, including the Sticky Rice and Mangos so much so that we returned yesterday on a cold and windy day to take our orders home. Sweet Rice is situated at a small strip mall in Gardena. It's a small, cute, and spotless place. We loved the sign: Mangos Ripening; Please do not disturb. 


On my first visit, I had no idea what to order. Angela was so nice and patient, explaining the different types of noodles.  I ordered the same thing I did last week, which was Kao Soi; Choice of chicken or beef ( I had the chicken), yellow curry, ba mee noodles, bean sprouts, mustard greens, red onions, cilantro, crispy noodles with a lime wedge. It was so amazing I couldn't get over how I managed to pick this dish. 

Sandi had the Panang with Beef, red curry, kabocha squash, kaffir leaves, and rice on the side. I tried hers, and it was also delicious. Josephine had the Ba Mee Nam; egg noodle, pork, fish ball, fish cake, bean sprouts, cilantro, scallion, roasted garlic oil. If you love fish balls, this is the one to order. We were all happy campers. 


The Sticky Rice with Mangos were the best we ever had. I couldn't get over how sweet the mangos were. I was surprised to find out they were from Thailand and not the Philippines which I am accustomed to and always thought they had the best mangos. The serving is worth the $8.99 because it is perfect for 2 people. We split on order the first time. Interestingly, this time everyone wanted to have their own, including my son. After I filled myself with the soup, I was surprised that I finished all but a tablespoon of sticky rice. I have to warn you that if you get it to go, make sure you take off the saran wrap on the sticky rice before you pour the coconut milk sauce because one of us who shall remain nameless did just that!

I want to thank Angela for her excellent advice and welcoming us like old friends on our second visit. Sweet Rice's address is 1630 W. Redondo Beach Blvd. #4 in Gardena, California.


No comments:

Post a Comment