Friday, November 20, 2020

MoDo Donuts

These donuts from Honolulu is still one of my favorite donuts. They are MOCHI donuts, chewy like mochi but very light. I used to fall in line to get some when they were new and located inside the old Mitsuwa Market on Western Ave. They moved to a permanent stall inside Mitsuwa in the new location in Torrance by the Del Amo Mall. You can access the store from Carson street (no need to enter the mall).

On their website, you will find the 3 flavors each day they make for the week. I waited till they had my favorite, Lilikoi, which is like passion fruit, only slightly more tart. They open at 10 a.m. every day. For some reason, I thought they opened at 11, so I was there at 11 a.m. this morning. There was no line! I ordered a dozen of the Lilikoi, then later decided to order another 6 because Amy and Sandi wanted a few. 

They make the donuts fresh, so you always have to wait unless you pre-order them. The box was hot when I got them, and I couldn't wait to have one. As soon as I got in my car, I opened the trunk, got a piece of paper towel, and took one out of the box, and proceeded on having a bite. The only thing wrong was I still had my face shield on, so the yellow lilikoi glaze got all over my face shield. If that was not stupid enough, I tried to lick the glaze I got all over my finger, still wearing the face shield! I just couldn't contain my excitement.

When I finally had a bite, I was immediately transported to heaven. Unbelievably delicious. It was still hot, and it tasted like no other donut. I bought a few hoping to get sick of it, so maybe I won't run over to get some more because they are not cheap. A dozen cost $23.00 plus tax. If you get half a dozen, it's $12.00 plus tax.

It's worth exploring the different flavors. I probably have tried most of them and my favorite Lilikoi and anything citrusy since it cuts the donut's sweetness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment