Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Sidecar Doughnuts in Torrance

Sidecar Doughnuts just opened up in the Rolling Hills Plaza across from Trader Joe's and in the same parking lot as the 24 Hour Fitness. I have been to the ones in Santa Monica and Orange County several times.  We got tired of it since most of them were sicky sweet. The last time I had some was 7 months ago in Santa Monica. I thought that enough time has gone by and maybe absence would make my stomach fonder. At 7:20 a.m. this morning, right after the gym, my son and I drove there to check their hours of operation. They open at 6:30 a.m.! We naturally went in and I got excited all over again seeing the beautiful doughnuts.


I ordered a few to try; the Huckleberry which is their signature doughnut, Bacon, Smoked French Toast, and my son's selection the Basil Egg Benedict which was a savory raised doughnut with a poached egg inside, ham and basil hollandaise sauce. As soon as we got home we sampled all of them. The Basil Egg Benedict was the best though looking at it didn't excite me. Once heated and sliced in the middle, things got more exciting. It turned out to be very good. The huckleberry had to be heated because most of the texture of the doughnut is cake-like. They are heavy and therefore not fluffy or light. They tend to be dry. You really have to heat them for at least 10 seconds in the microwave. The huckleberry tasted like it just came out of the oven and that's how I first experienced it and it was good. The bacon was also better heated though it was not nearly as good as Cafe Dulce. I didn't care for the French toast at all. The special for the month is Fluffernutter Huckleberry Jam with a peanut butter glaze with meringue and roasted peanuts. It looked interesting but since I am not a peanut butter fan, I passed.


I am not anxious to go back to Sidecar but I will probably check out the monthly specials since I have had good ones, FYI, we didn't like anything chocolate because we found them gummy in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment