Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Golden Peach Honey Mascarpone Cronut

Last month's cronut flavor from Dominique Ansel (father of the original cronuts) was Guava Passion Fruit. It was truly out of this world. I knew that July's flavor was going to be peach honey mascarpone so I  made plans to get a few of the cronuts. I had friends put in their orders from me. The only problem is that there is a limit on how many of these babies you can buy. If you recall from my last blog, they didn't want to sell me 8 cronuts but I begged and pleaded since I drove all the way from Palos Verdes. I was told that you could place an order on the website which I looked into right away. The next problem is you could order 6. I had my friend Sujata order the 6 ( which were really for me and my friends that placed orders), and I ordered 6 as well.

My plan was to have lunch at Dominique Ansel and after lunch, we were going to buy however many cronuts they can sell us and only after that would we give our receipts to pick up our prepaid cronuts. There were no lines when we finished our lunch which was a good sign. They would hopefully sell us more than the allowed 2 per person. I asked for 4 and it was not a problem. Sujata ordered 4 as well. The cronuts were beautiful and I couldn't wait to try one but I had to restrain myself and wait till I got home.


The cronut was very good, still better than all the cronuts I have had in the past but I must say that it did not surpass the Guava Passion Fruit Cronut; last months' flavor. If you haven't had the guava passion fruit, you will still like this one. Though the peach jam was delicious, it lacked the tang that the guava had.

Let me give you an idea of what is involved in buying a few of the cronuts: I pack a couple of coolers in the trunk of my car and put some of the prepacked frozen ice. I strategize the timing. We have an early lunch so we can get the cronuts and leave the Grove ASAP.   As soon as I get home I very carefully wrap each cronut in parchment paper and then put them in Ziploc freezer bags. I then make my calls to people that may want to pick up their loot. I had 3 people come and they had planned to eat theirs for dessert after dinner. I talked them into having it at my home while still fresh. It was nice seeing their reaction. My labor was well worth it.


Dominique Ansel Bakery is located at the Grove on Fairfax by the Farmer's Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment