Friday, June 29, 2018

The Last Supper

The last evening for the Limjap's had to be a bit special. My 8-year-old nephew, Lewis's request was a"steak" dinner.  I had bought some Ribeyes recently when it was on sale so I ended up cooking them on the grill. I used the Salted Steak Recipe. The steaks turned out perfect! I first served a nice salad. To accompany the steak, I made some mashed potatoes and mushrooms sautéed in butter and Mirin sauce. As usual, Lewis only wanted steak; no potatoes, no salad but he did like the mushrooms.


In case you are interested in the recipe, here goes. You sprinkle lots of kosher salt on both sides of the steak. Be generous and don't worry about over salting them. The salt will draw out some water from the steak. You can do this for an hour but I left mine marinating for several hours. I took them out of the refrigerator and rinsed them in cold water to get rid of the salt. I patted them dry and added fresh thyme and Lawry's seasoned pepper. I let that sit for 30 minutes. Just before cooking them on the grill, I added some olive oil on the steaks.  After one side was cooked (about 5 minutes), I added butter and did it one more time after they were flipped to the other side.

Dessert was leftover Key Lime Pie that Sandi made. The tangy pie was perfect after a heavy dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment