Thursday, December 7, 2017

The Slanted Door

My cousin Riz and I hadn't seen each other since high school. She picked me up from my hotel last night and took me to The Slanted Door, a Vietnamese restaurant at the Ferry Building here in San Francisco. The place was very busy and though we didn't have reservations, they were able to accommodate us in the bar.


The bartender liked Riz, especially when she explained we were "prima" (cousins).  Since I was not hungry I suggested we order just appetizers. Riz and I each ordered a glass of wine to go with the Slanted Door Spring Rolls; gulf shrimp, pork, mint, shallot mayonnaise with peanut sauce. We also ordered the Crispy Imperial Rolls; gulf shrimp, pork shoulder, vermicelli noodles and roasted peanut. Both appetizers were very good and we enjoyed the peanut sauce.


It was so nice to meet with Riz. She encouraged me to come back to San Francisco so we could go to Napa on an eating expedition. I told her before that happens she will have to visit me in Los Angeles.

Thank you Riz for showing me your city and making our reunion so enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. We have to do this more often, dear cousin! — it was a fun time, indeed! It was as if 47 years had not gone by between us! I was really very happy to see you and even more delighted that we both enjoy good food.

    ReplyDelete