Saturday, December 9, 2017

Back To The Slanted Door

I loved the restaurant my cousin Riz took me to a few nights ago.  My 2 friends were jealous so they wanted to go too.  Especially when they discovered that The Slanted Door was on the list of recommended restaurants our friend Milena, aka Ms. Gourmet, gave us.

It was too late to make reservations and, since we had a late breakfast, lunch was out of the question. Mertz, Sujata and I walked from our hotel to the Ferry Building. It was a beautiful day and there was lots to see on the way to the restaurant.  We got to the restaurant too early for dinner so the dining room  had not opened yet.  But the bar and lounge areas were open with a limited menu so we ended up at the lounge area.  For drinks Sujata and I had Moscow Mules while Mertz had a glass of red wine.  We ordered 4 plates to share. We chose the Slanted Door Spring Rolls which I had the night before; gulf shrimp, pork, mint, shallot mayonnaise with peanut sauce. We also ordered the Vegetarian Spring Rolls for our vegetarian friend. I must admit that even those were delicious.


The third item we chose was the Grapefruit & Jicama Salad; red cabbage, pickled carrot and candied pecan which was surprisingly delicious. Looking at it didn't do anything for me. I guessed that it would be sour. A couple that sat across from us was eating something that looked good. I asked them what it was and how it was. It was the Gau Choy Gow, wild gulf shrimp & green garlic chive dumplings so we ordered that.  I could have eaten more than one of those. It was so tasty, especially with the sauce it came with.


After dinner we had a leisurely walk back to the hotel while enjoying the skyline of San Francisco.


The Slanted Door is located at the Ferry Building Marketplace in San Francisco. Reservations are a must. By the time we left, the restaurant was packed! I know that when we go back to San Francisco, The Slanted Door will be one place to revisit.

No comments:

Post a Comment