Friday, December 8, 2017

Tartine Bakery and Cafe

We had to postpone our trip to Tartine Bakery from yesterday to today. Uber would have cost us over $30 yesterday, as opposed to $12 today. The place was very small with only a few tables inside. They had a few outside tables but it looked too cold to eat out there. Lucky for us, 3 people were evacuating their seats so Mertz immediately sat and ordered us to go ahead and get our pastries while she saved our table.


I was actually thankful for the line because it gave me time to collect my thoughts. I was excited to see so many things I wanted to try. Everything looked wonderful. It was my turn to order; I chose a slice of Apple Pie which looked amazing, a Savory Scone which had bacon, Gruyere, fromage blanc, herbs and sea salt, and the Morning Bun which had cinnamon sugar and candied orange zest. I also had to order a Gougere with Gruyere, black pepper and thyme.


Sujata had the Almond Croissant and Mertz ordered Croque Monsieur and a Chocolate Croissant. Everything was delicious. The apple pie had chunks of semi-firm apples with streusel on top. The savory scone with bacon was very good. The morning bun and the Gougere were my favorites. The morning bun was reminiscent of a good kouign amann. The gougere was soft, light and airy with a wonderful flavor of Gruyere, black pepper and thyme. The next time I go to Tartine, I will have the gougere and the morning bun again. I was hoping I could buy several to freeze but since I am not home and, would have to hand carry them on the plane back to Los Angeles, I figured it would not be practical.


The Croque Monsieur was also very good even if we ate it cold much later since there was no way we could finish everything we bought.  Tartine Bakery is definitely a bakery one should visit while in San Francisco.  Tartine Bakery is located at 600 Guerrero St. in San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment