Sunday, September 3, 2017

Cynthia's Birthday at Forma

When asked where she would like to celebrate her birthday, Cindy chose Forma where the star ingredient is Formaggio (cheese) hence the name Forma. She read my previous blogs and wanted to experience the Cacio e Pepe finished on a wheel of cheese.


I myself don't always remember what excited me at a certain restaurant so it was nice to review my previous blog. I don't know how I almost forgot the Crispy Artichoke Salad. We had to order that and everyone loved it of course.


Cindy, Mertz and Sandi ordered the Cacio e Pepe. My brother Gary agreed to split his Tortellini with mushrooms, light cream, truffle oil tossed in Bella Lodi cheese. I naturally had to split my Cacio e Pepe with him. Sujata who loves spicy food went for the Burnt Spaghetti Assassina. We were all fascinated with this Apulian style burnt spaghetti arrabiata with dry ricotta. The spaghetti is actually fried! We all tried it and loved it. A bit spicy but not too spicy. This time only Cindy and I finished our pasta. The rest of the girls and Gary took left overs home. I was again saddened that I had nothing to take home.


Cindy got a bread pudding for her birthday dessert. We ordered the mango, lemon and raspberry sorbet which was refreshing and the Banana Pecan Tart with chocolate which I have had before and loved.


The traveling birthday balloon now rests with Cindy till the next birthday which is Sujata and that would be in December. Cindy gave us all a bag for her party favor which consisted of multicolored pasta, lemon salt, baby spatula, 2 sided dish rag, baby balsamic vinegar and champagne chocolate.


I just noticed that Forma has a Happy Hour from 3pm to 6pm. The menu looks very good; Filet Mignon tartare, burrata stracciata, panzerotto Pugliese, tortellini, cacio e pepe of course, arancinni, meatballs, fries, mussels and charcuterie. Lucky Gary works next door so I will have to live vicariously through him.

Just as we were about to leave I heard a voice behind the bar which was familiar. It was Mario, the owner, so in my very limited Italian I greeted him: "Buon pomeriggio". It's always nice to see him and know he's there overseeing everything. Service was very good as expected. Forma is located at 1610 Montana Ave. in Santa Monica, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment