Thursday, March 16, 2017

Le Crocodile

Le Crocodile is a French Restaurant, hence pronounced (crocodeel) in Vancouver, Canada, BC and is truly a wonderful spot to have dinner. We were happy that this was on our list of restaurants to try. It was raining last night so we thought we would leave early as not to be late. As soon as we walked in, a young gentleman took our coats to hang and led us to our table.


The menu was extensive and when Chris our server recited the specials, I was too stressed to even try to consider them as they all sounded special. Mertz and I decided to just go for the Six Course Tasting Menu.  We ordered our wine from Roman, the charming young man who took our coats who was also the Sommelier.  Fresh warm bread was immediately delivered to our table. We enjoyed and devoured them so quickly that Chris asked us if we wanted more. My response was "yes, but no thank you". The butter was especially good. I meant to ask what brand they used but forgot all about it.


The Amuse Bouche was a Parmesan Tart which tasted like a very good quiche. It was light and fluffy and was consumed after just a few bites. Our first course was a Shrimp Cocktail Salad topped with Tiger Prawn Tempura. That was the best shrimp cocktail I've ever had served over butter lettuce. We both loved the dressing which was not overpowering so it allowed the succulent shrimps to shine.


The next course was the Grilled Green Asparagus topped with fresh Sable Fish & Digby Scallop served with a Saffron sauce. Mertz and I gave each other "the look of love". We were both in love with the scallops and the saffron sauce. How can anything be so wonderful? Our fourth course was a Duo of Roasted Duck Breast & Lamb Chop served with Calvados reduction and Bernaise sauce. This came with addicting shoe string potatoes. They were good alone and in the saffron sauce.


To cleanse our palate, we were served a Green Apple Sorbet in a pond of Calvados. We both loved this. I asked Chris if I could order a gallon of the sorbet and a quart of the Calvados! If only I didn't have to travel home by airplane.


Dessert was a Floating Island and Deep Fried Mars Bar and Toffee Mousseline. I've never had deep fried candy bar (Mars) though I know of it. My nephew Andre has made them before, though not for me. That was exceptionally good. The floating island was also nice with the spun sugar. I didn't care much for the toffee mousseline which surprised me since it was salty and I usually like salty with sweet. This was a bit too salty for my taste. Mertz loved it though. Since we were celebrating both our birthdays, they put a candle on our dessert which was a nice touch.


Just as we thought we really could not eat anymore, Chris brought us milk and dark chocolates shaped like........you guessed it: Crocodiles! We had 2 and took the other 2 home. I asked Chris if they furnished wheel chairs since we were too full to move. He immediately told us there they had stretchers in the back and the hospital was not far.


I must say the food at Le Crocodile was superb and service was impeccable. In the words of General McArthur: " I shall return" the next time I visit Vancouver.

No comments:

Post a Comment