Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Best Weisswurst

I have been buying Weisswurst (white sausage) from the Alpine Village in Torrance ever since the mid seventies for very good reason. It simply is beyond delicious. It used to be made with veal but nowadays it is made with pork. No complaints on my end as it is still as good. I thought it would be appropriate to serve weisswurst to celebrate Otto's birthday.

The German Potato Salad was also purchased at Alpine Village; so was a bit of Sauerkraut for the few people that enjoy it. I myself don't like it and what's funny is Otto who is German does not like it either. I made some Red Cabbage which I cooked with apples and mushrooms.  Going back to the Weisswurst, the best way to cook it is to put it on the grill. This is not the traditional way. People usually remove the casing. I like to leave it on.  Our family and guests all like it burnt and since I aim to please, we all had burnt sausages. That was served with various mustards and relish but most of us favored the Siracha Sauce (Silver Spring brand), which was creamy, hot and tangy with a hint of sweetness.


Everyone seemed to have a good time despite the weather. It was in the 90's . The air condition was on in the house but  it was terribly hot outside; almost as hot as the Philippines. I was surprised that some of the guests sat outside. Towards the early evening, there seemed to be a bit of a breeze which made it almost pleasant.


We were all entertained by Maisie. She's the daughter of my niece. She's only 2 years old but she was able to command the room, she was belle of the ball. As soon as she arrived, she called out to everyone "Hi" and gave each person a hug. She didn't know anyone, yet she acted like everyone was her long lost friend. She made her rounds throughout the evening showing anyone interested in her "Hello Kitty" lunchbox and it's contents.


Dessert was Coffee Crunch Cake from Red Ribbon. Otto had his own Marzipan Cake which he happily devoured. He did enjoy everyone's company. It was a good birthday!


I intentionally cooked extra weisswurst so we can have it for several meals. They taste good heated in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment