Sunday, July 10, 2016

Priceless Table with Chef Susan Feniger

Sandi and I attended this event last Friday at Chef Susan Feniger's restaurant Mud Hen Tavern. I have never been there before. The event was to benefit "Stand Up To Cancer", a very worthy cause. As we walked in the restaurant, we were greeted by a friendly person by the name of Pam, she and her friend Deborah Howell from 94.7 The Wave radio station were part of the event. The small restaurant opened up to an outdoor patio decorated with lights and 3 rows of tables set with beautiful bouquet of flowers.


We first sat inside and sampled some of the hors d'oeuvres. Deviled Eggs with green salsa, Red Bean and Rice Fritters, Garlic chip stuffed with ceviche, and our favorite Cauliflower Popcorn. These were addicting as it was a bit salty from the sea salt and more of the vinegar flavor which almost made our mouths pucker, in a good way. As Chef Feniger made her rounds, she stopped to chat and we mentioned  how we were enjoying the hors d' oeuvres especially the cauliflower. Being the gracious hostess that she is, she brought us a second dish of cauliflower which we devoured. I have never met Susan before and I must say I have not met a Chef who is so outgoing and genuinely friendly. Even if she has cooked for the current president, and the Clinton's and a multitude of the"rich and famous", she is just a lovely person and is very approachable. I mentioned to her that I have a blog and she immediately asked me if I wanted to take a picture of the kitchen in which of course I said yes. I got to meet her executive chef, Kajsa Alger (pronounced Sasha). Everyone in the kitchen was so nice and welcoming.


The printed menu was attached to a wooden plaque and signed by Chef Feniger. The food was delicious. I was a bit shocked to discover that some people did not know how to properly eat an artichoke. Susan noticed that as she made her rounds and some struggled trying to eat it with a fork. By the time the main course was served, the Malaysian Peppered Short Ribs, we could hardly have the 3rd bite as we were so stuffed. I know the culprit of this "fullness" was the popcorn cauliflower.


Sandi and I loved the Salted Thai Tea Pudding; it didn't sound exciting but it was very good. The Lemon Basbousa Cake was also good but our stomachs could not handle any more food so it ended up in a "to go" box along with our short ribs.


The evening was so much fun. At the conclusion of the dinner, we were all handed a bag with her signed cookbook and she was willing to further personalize each book and take more pictures. I have to mention that the entertainment took the cake. Susan entertained us with story after story about her experiences, etc., and in between her stories,she would explain in detail what we were about to eat. I have never met such a dynamic, vivacious and fascinating person in my life. To Chef Susan Feniger, I thank you for a Priceless Evening.


P.S. Sandi later asked Susan about the name of the restaurant. Mud Hen is the name of the baseball team from Toledo, Ohio where Susan is from; I am sure most normal people know this. We know nothing about sports, let alone baseball but we do know how to eat artichoke!

1 comment:

  1. GREAT blog and pictures! Felt like I was there enjoying the food and stories with you.

    ReplyDelete