Friday, February 5, 2016

Valentino

Last weekend, I took a friend to Valentino's in Santa Monica. I had a voucher which I got from Groupon. For $149 (dinner for 2), you would get your choice of an antipasti, primi, secondi and of course, dolce. I have been to Valentino's numerous times in the past and have not had a bad meal yet. Service is always very good. My guest was appreciative of the dinner invitation that he insisted on ordering the wine. We enjoyed a bottle of Barolo by  Michele Chiarlo.


My guest and I ordered the same antipasti which was Polpo Alla Griglia E Fregola Al Nero; translated is Grilled Octopus with Squid Ink Fregula. Fregula is a type of pasta from Sandinia. We both loved the texture and it was just a lovely dish. Before that, they served an assortment of bread and an amuse bouche of Mozzarella with tomatoes and a fried or baked croquette.


Primi was a no-brainer. We both had the Lasagne with Duck Ragu and Porcini Mushroom. We both loved the lasagne. The noodles were nice and thin served aldente and just plain wonderful.


For our secondi, my friend had the Veal Piccata with capers and lemon. I had a bite of that and loved it. I thought I would eat healthy (after the lasagne) so I decided on the Branzino Alla Livornese, grilled with capers, olives and tomatoes. Believe it or not, I enjoyed that fish.


Dessert was the Chef's selection. It was a Budino alla Vaniglia e Cantucci Crocante. This dessert was quite impressive. It looked like a fried egg. I can't remember what the yolk was made out of; probably a fruity mousse like maybe apricot? Whatever it was, it was very good with the different textures. We thoroughly enjoyed it. That was my fruit for the day!


I have to thank Frederick (the great)  our server, for being so attentive and entertaining. I had forgotten to take a picture of the Budino that Frederick offered to go to the kitchen and take one for me. It was nice to see Piero Selvaggio on our way out. Signor Selvaggio, I salute you once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment