Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The Roof on Wilshire

Sometimes it pays to subscribe to various emails for deals especially when it comes to restaurants. I get the "Blackboard Eats/LA".  They offer discounts on restaurants; some familiar to me and others I have never heard of. If this is the case, I immediately look at the menu and the ambiance.

Sandi and I had an appointment in Beverly Hills at 10:30 a.m. last Tuesday, so rather than have lunch after, I decided to try their breakfast. The Roof on Wilshire is located on the roof of the Hotel Wilshire, not to be confused with the Beverly Wilshire. It's a small boutique hotel that has a wonderful view from it's roof. It was a beautiful day with the California sun shining at 8:45 a.m. and a constant temperature of 73 degrees. On the background were songs of Norah Jones, Astrud Gilberto and guitar music. It was a perfect setting. I could also imagine the ambiance at night!


Two things stood out on their menu. This was perfect since 90% of the time, Sandi and I split 2 entrees to get the best of both worlds. The first entree was called Pancake Lasagna. We were both intrigued with the name and I couldn't contain my excitement when I read the description. It had bacon, sausage, cheddar and a maple Bechamel. What's there not to like? The other other entree was a Brioche French Toast; orange compote and dulce de leche. I loved how they served it on the dark side (can't stand pale French Toasts) and the orange compote was perfect. The dulce the leche was not overwhelmingly sweet. After we placed our order, we realized that this was not going to be a dietetic breakfast. Both were excellent choices. It would be too rich and too much for 1 person so half of both was truly perfect for me. Sandi didn't even finish hers as she was too full.



I was really fascinated with the Pancake Lasagna that I had to call and speak to the Chef the following day. Chef Chris Mendoza explained how the lasagna was made. They make a big sheet of pancake and they layer the ground sausage, aerated scrambled eggs, chopped bacon with the fat and incorporate it with the Bechamel sauce. I normally do not like breakfast sausage but this was different. All the ingredients came together like a beautiful symphony. Who would have known? Just make sure you take an extra dose of Lipitor to keep your cholesterol from spiking up.

The Roof on Wilshire is located at 6317 Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment