Monday, February 8, 2016

Mishi's Strudel Bakery and Cafe

I have to remind myself occasionally of this bakery/cafe close to home. Their specialty is the many flavors of crispy strudels. I doubt you could find one better than theirs. See previous blog:
http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2012/07/mishis-strudel.html

I have always wanted to try some of the traditional Hungarian dishes but never had the time since they close at very early time (4 p.m.). Sandi and I went a few days ago and got there shortly before  4 p.m. I asked the lady if they would still serve us dinner and she happily informed us that they close at 5 p.m. that day. Hallelujah! There were no customers when we walked in so we had the cafe all to ourselves.


We decided to try the Hungarian Goulash Stew with beef, bacon, green peppers, caraway, garlic and onions. This was served with French Bread. She asked us how we wanted it prepared. Mild, spicy or hot. We both said spicy. Since we eat at Indian restaurants and could handle a bit spicy, we figured we could handle this. It was good but too spicy for both of us. Thank God for the diet coke that temporarily cooled our mouths. We also ordered the Turos Csusza which is a traditional Hungarian pasta with cottage cheese and bacon.  We absolutely loved this dish. It would be too rich to eat a whole serving so splitting one was perfect. It was also nice having that after the spicy goulash.


We were both pleasantly full and it would have been a mortal sin if we left without ordering a slice of strudel. We settled for the Apricot Cheese which I have had before and loved. Our favorite is the Chocolate Cherry which they didn't have at the time. It was served warm and though I prefer my desserts cold, I still enjoyed it. At home I would serve this with a scoop of vanilla or salted caramel ice cream.


We both left the place with a big 16" box of frozen strudel to take home. They freeze and bake beautifully and looks very impressive when served to your guests. Mishi's is located at 309 West 7th St. in San Pedro, California. Check their website for hours of operation and to view their many strudels. www.mishisstrudel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment