Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas Dinner 2014

The best part for me about a dinner party at home is setting the table. At  least what I set is what I get. No chance of failure.


This Christmas dinner was a bit different.  I decided to makes something I've never made before which was Prime Rib. Everyone always told me how easy it is to make.  Though my friend Cindy reminded me that I once made it and it was a flop since my oven stopped working.

My double oven has been calibrated since then so I thought; why not. Life is too short and I have to live dangerously sometimes.  I bought a 9.5lb prime rib. On Christmas eve, Sandi and I watched our cousin Ramon cook 2 of these hunk of meats. He seasoned them and put them in the oven for 45 minutes at 500 degrees. After 45 minutes, he reduced the temperature to 325 degrees and cooked it another 45 minutes (5 min. per lb. for medium rare).

So I got my meat out of the refrigerator and let it rest for 2 hours. I seasoned it heavily with butter, garlic salt, Lawry's seasoned salt, fresh rosemary and thyme. I put it in the oven for 45 min. at 500 degrees. I then lowered the temperature to 325 degrees and after 45 minutes, Sandi and I took temperature readings (we both had different thermometers), to make sure. It registered 114 degrees. We made a small slit and decided it was rare, so we decided to keep it in for another 30 minutes. We took it out, ready or not and just tented it to continue cooking. It was dripping blood....oh well, we thought it would continue to cook.  After 25 minutes, we had a conference. Sandi was telling me how I should cut it and rather than follow instructions, I handed her the knife. Everyone thought it should be cooked by then. She started cutting like a surgeon as I assisted by patting her forehead, more for moral support. When she got the hang of it, like a typical surgeon, she handed the knife to her assistant, Gary and he finished the slicing. The first few slices were well done, then came the medium rare and then the very rare which we had to stick in the microwave. It turned out to be quite good with the whipped horseradish I made and the creamed corn.




By the time I started eating, the prime rib was already cold. All I could think of is my renewed appreciation for Lawry's.  When I go to Lawry's, I am always happy with my prime rib as it it served by my table and is guaranteed to be perfectly cooked with the right temperature. All I do is sit, order and enjoy. Making my own is too stressful and since all ovens are different, there is no perfect recipe.

We ended the meal with a nice dessert. Coffee Crunch cake from Red Ribbon Bakery. Since Sandi and I were in the kitchen most of the time and stressing out, I forgot to take pictures of the people. At least it was just family and they seem to be forgiving, at least most of the time. We still had a Merry Christmas.


I don't know what I will be serving next year but I do know it will not be prime rib.

No comments:

Post a Comment