Sunday, December 29, 2013

Nobu

Let me start my telling you I am not a "sushi" person but I will eat anything except for something still moving from this restaurant.  This is paradise for sushi and non-sushi lovers. The last time I was at Nobu was a couple of years ago when I didn't even know what a blog was. Here we all are before the feast.





We started with their Edamame which was cooked with slivers of garlic and salt of course. This was no ordinary edamame; it's the best I've ever had. They were served with Shishito Peppers which were not spicy but big on flavor.


Our first of many courses was the Kanpachi (Yellow tail) with it's own sauce and cilantro which was to be eaten together. Deelicious. This was followed by Seared Sashimi with jalapeno (tuna with a vinaigrette sauce); equally as good. Then came the star of the show; Lobster Tempura served with a bunch of who knows what on the side. More sashimi which literally melted in your mouth.




I remembered the Wagyu Beef Tacos which they served with I believe some Sea Bass Tacos. Both were very good but the fish taco had more flavor and I have to make it a point to order that again. The taco shells were unlike what I have had before, these were very light and crispy.
The Miso Cod is not to be missed. It is delicate, light and flaky and packed with miso flavor. Our one vegetarian had the Tofu dish that looked interesting with thin slices of what looked like red onions and cilantro. Then they served some Wagyu Beef Flank which was flambeed at our table. If you wanted the meat cooked more, as the flames subsided, you could just place the meat on the black stone as it continued to cook.





We also had some Crab which was cooked then placed back on it's shell. Again, it was delicious. My favorite was the Rock Shrimp Tempura which I have had in the past. I think I could have eaten a bowlful of this dish. The only reason I didn't is we all had the nice Japanese steamed rice to go with everything. I had 2 bowls....that's nothing. I think the record belonged to Ross as he had 5 bowls of rice. The last dish was a big platter of Assorted Sushi. It was too confusing to try and remember which was what fish so I just consumed them with no more questions asked. For the finale, they served us Miso Soup cooked with the Lobster remains. Nice way to end the meal except of course for the dessert.




They had all sorts of ice cream flavors. I picked one I've never had: Popcorn.  It was more of a vanilla ice cream with popcorn flavor.  I did like it. Heavy desserts would not have been good with all the food we consumed.  I say this was a perfect ending.


Nobu still is one of the best if not the best Japanese Restaurant in Los Angeles. They have one in Malibu, Las Vegas, New York and San Diego. The Los Angeles address is 903 N. La Cienega in L.A. The current location used to be L'Orangerie (my favorite French restaurant of all times).




No comments:

Post a Comment