Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A-1 Chinese BBQ

This hole in the wall (literally) restaurant has been around in Lomita for almost 30 years!  The food is very good but the ambiance fails in all respect. It's a very small place that looks it's age.  It is not conducive to gourmet dining. The last time I was in this restaurant was probably 15 years ago.

They specialize in Peking duck.  I remember many years ago when I used to frequent this place, you could see a bunch of cooked ducks hanging by their necks. I imagine that this turned off some people though most customers were Asians, (myself included) and this didn't bother them. They did away with the hanging ducks.

Their sauteed shrimps are my favorite. They are always nice and plump and have a great flavor.   Their noodles can be ordered crispy or soft; also wonderful. The salty fish fried rice was indeed salty especially when you got the fish by itself. Most people will probably think it is too salty. I loved it.




Service is not the greatest thing. You will have to ignore the lady owner who is sometimes rude. She has no social skills at all and I remember this from the past. You wonder then, why subject yourself to this? One reason: the food! The best thing to do is order your food and take it home. Better yet, call in your order the next time so all you do is pick it up. Make sure you have cash as they still do not accept credit cards.

A-1 BBQ is located at 2014 E. Pacific Coast Highway in Lomita, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment