Monday, December 24, 2012

New York Deli

This Delicatessen has been in the city of Torrance since 1985.  There is also one in Pasadena.  I am not much of a "deli" person but a few days ago, my friend thought it would be nice to visit this deli.  I have never eaten there although I have ordered their Matzo Ball Soup to go when I was sick and remember it being so good. I recently got the same soup for a friend when she was sick and she too enjoyed it.

My friend ordered the Matzo Ball Soup for her dinner and I decided to go big time and order the New Yorker Sandwich which was hot corned beef, hot pastrami, Swiss cheese, cole slaw and homemade Russian dressing. We decided to split an order of Potato Pancakes as an appetizer. The pancakes were not the thin kind but fat ones which were served with sour cream and apple sauce. The sour cream didn't do anything for us. The apple sauce was a much better companion although the apples sauce itself was bland; sort of like baby food. I immediately thought of the applesauce that Mertz and Amy make and imagined what it could do to these pancakes!



Somehow, we both thought the Matzo Ball Soup was not as good as when we were sick. It seemed to lack flavor. I highly recommend it for a cold but when you're healthy and your taste buds are hyperactive, I would pass and order something else.



When the server brought the New Yorker Sandwich, I literally screamed.  It was unbelievable.  The humongous sandwich shocked me and would have shocked anyone else. I tried to figure out how to eat it....I was used to the Six Dollar burgers at Carl's Jr. and had no problem biting into it.  The only way was to disassemble everything and use my fork and knife. I ended up just eating the meat which was delicious and discarding the bread. Needless to say, I was only able to eat half.

No comments:

Post a Comment