Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cornish Game Hens

I used to cook Cornish Game Hens a lot 25 years ago. My husband loved them and suggested I make it for Christmas dinner. Why not? Not all markets sell them but finally found some at Vons Market. I bought 6 of these cute little hens for Christmas dinner.




I cooked them the way I used to which was stuffing them with red cabbage with apples and mushrooms.  I rubbed the skin with sesame oil and seasoned them with salt & pepper and for good measure some butter just before baking them and a some soy sauce at the end. For side dishes, I made some mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts mixed with carrots and shallots topped with bacon.


I have never cooked 6 hens in one time, so the cooking took a lot longer. The ones in the middle of the pack didn't cook all the way.  Luckily, only the leg by the bones were slightly pink.  The hens were not bad but they were not as good as I remembered. The stuffing was very good.

This was too much trouble for what it was worth so I bid these hens Adieu....never again.  I was not sure to this point what game hens were, in fact, I asked my guests if they knew....were they adult dwarf hens, were they premature hens or were they a different species?  The answer may shock you. Game hens are not necessarily hens, they could be male or female plus they are not game birds.  They are a type of domestic chicken and after 4 weeks when they weigh no more than 2 lbs. they are slaughtered.

Dessert was much better and trouble free. I had ordered the Pistachio Pie from L'Amande Bakery. All I did was cut that flaky, puffy baby with a pizza cutter and served them with vanilla ice cream. No complaints there.


All in all ,despite the not so good premie hens, we still managed to have a good time.



Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night.....



No comments:

Post a Comment