Monday, August 6, 2012

San Franciscan Restaurant

This establishment has been in existence since 1963.  Once in a while, I hear someone mention the restaurant in Torrance and have heard good things about their special prime rib.

Yesterday, after a friend and I got out of a matinee show "Avenue Q" an adult musical with puppets; very entertaining by the way, we decided it was a good time to try this restaurant. My friend has been there before but it has been years. I have only been there for drinks with a couple of friends.

We got there early enough for the "Early Bird Special". The prime rib of beef, au jus was a mere $16.95. We both decided to go for it. This came with a choice of soup or salad. We both picked the cream of chicken soup as the salad looked too plain.

They served us a small loaf of sour dough. We both did not have lunch so we attacked that bread. I have had better sour dough before. The meat arrived. It looked promising.
We both had steak knives but we still had a hard time cutting the meat. It was not tender. I ordered mine medium-well and my friend had hers medium and still it was tough.  The baked potato was very good with the butter, sour cream and chives.



I have to mention that our server was not the enthusiastic type. In fact it seemed like she was not scheduled to be there but was called in the last minute.  When she finally came at the end of our meal,  I asked for the check. She asked us if we wanted dessert and we declined;  judging by the entree, the desserts were probably not good. She then informed us that the dessert was included. I asked her what it was and she said: "Ice Cream".   I then asked her what flavor. She said: "I don't know." At this point, I expected her to say "Let me find out." So I asked her if it was vanilla.  She said: "Probably and they might put some fudge. I don't really know cuz sometimes, they run out so I never know what flavor."
Well, que sera sera..... she brought us a scoop of vanilla with a trace of fudge. Then she said: "They call it marble."  How enlightening!

What's even more enlightening is if you crave prime rib,  .......go to Lawry's in Beverly Hills.  Sure you'll pay more but this is the real thing.  Right now, the month of August, they have the Surf and Turf Special. For $99 you can get dinner for 2 which includes their famous spinning salad, prime rib AND lobster tail with dessert and coffee.

Sometimes, you really get what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment