Friday, February 17, 2012

The Standing Room



This is an unusual place to get something good to eat. It's an itsty bitsy place inside a liquor store in Redondo Beach in the corner of Catalina and Diamond. My hairdresser told me to just Go! She raved about the braised short ribs on a bun with carmelized onions. Right after my hair cut; I went!

They had all sorts of sandwiches and burgers; all looked appetizing. I was about to order the short ribs when the Crisped Chopped Soft Shell Crab caught my eye. While waiting for my order, I studied the menu board and learned about the truffle parmesan. Obviously, I had to order that. There was no place to eat unless I wanted to eat it in my car or go to the beach which was right there. I decided to eat it at home. I prayed that no cops would be around as I dashed home hoping the sandwich would still be warm.

When I opened the box, I saw this interesting and exciting "thing". A soft pan demie roll with crunchy soft shell crab with a bunch of tiny balls. The sauce they had was so delicious and spicy. This was the best sandwich I've had in a loooong time. I usually don't consider sandwiches real food until yesterday. I immediately called them up and spoke with the owner to ask what was in that sandwich. The tiny balls were called bubu arare which are crispy rice crackers; the secret to the wonderful flavor was their thai crab mayo! The truffle fries were also very good though I prefer my fries not too crispy to be able to really savor the potato.

It would be a good idea to call in your order so you don't have to stand too long, but for first timers.....the stand is worth the wait!

1 comment: