Friday, March 31, 2023

The Bull Pen

The Bull Pen has been in operation since 1948, though not at its current location. They have been at 314 Ave. I in Redondo Beach since 1978. It seems unbelievable that I've never been there before. Some of my old friends have been there at least one time. This was known as a "pick up joint", in the past. I know they have a band and dancing on the weekends. They have been written up as one of the best restaurants for prime rib, though they only serve it from Thursday to Sunday.

Sugar invited Zohreh, Mike and me for dinner. I was excited to experience the food and the ambiance. It was dark, like what you expected from the old steak house restaurants. The place isn't very big. When you walk in, they have a bar on your left and straight ahead is a small area for the band and dancing. 

We got there at 5 p.m. Our server, Lisa, recommended some appetizers. We ordered Sauteed Mushrooms and Shrimp Cocktail. The mushrooms were so delicious and it came with some toast that I'm sure had lots of butter. I couldn't get over how good they were. The shrimp cocktail was nice an fresh.

Three of us decided on the Prime Rib and baked potato with everything. Zohreh opted for the Pan Seared Sea Bass. We also ordered Salad with bleu cheese dressing and an order of Mac & Cheese to share. The salad was outstanding. Sugar ordered her meat rare, and she got it rare. However, Mike and I ordered our meat medium but it was rare so they took it back. My meat was on the tough side. It also had s lot of fat. I spent a lot of time cutting into my meat. I noticed that Sugar's rare cut didn't have as much fat as mine or Mike's. The picture below is the rare prime rib.


Zohreh's Sea Bass was better though I thought it was such a small portion of fish. The baked potato made up for it. The baked potato was very good! I would order the salad, mushrooms and baked potato again and again!

Lisa was unable to persuade us to order any dessert. We were all full. I would give The Bull Pen another chance and perhaps order a burger? It might also be fun to go later on a weekend and wait for the band to play.......




No comments:

Post a Comment