Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Filet Mignon

While shopping at my local Ralph's Market, I came across 3 pieces of individually packed organic filet mignons on sale. The regular price for the 6 oz. meat was usually $14, which I would never dream of paying. I could not pass the sale price of $4.99 apiece since it expired the following day. I got 2 pieces, though I really should have bought all 3. 

I cooked them in butter with a bit of vegetable oil to not burn the butter and added some fresh rosemary and thyme. After a couple of minutes, I added the steak and cooked it for 5 minutes on each side. It was still a bit rare, so I added an extra minute or so, which was a mistake since I forgot about the resting period in which the steak continued to cook. It came out more well than medium, but it was still super tender and delicious. I served it with peas and potatoes that you can buy in a box and just add butter and the seasoning included in the package. I took a picture of my dish, but my son said I should have included the herbs for presentation, and he was right.

It was a reasonably inexpensive dinner for two. Yesterday as I went through the meat section of Ralph's, I looked for any sale items, but there were none. As the saying goes: "You win some, you lose some."


No comments:

Post a Comment