Saturday, October 23, 2021

Sweet Wheat

My friend Cindy called to inform me that Sweet Wheat in Redondo Beach finally opened. The following day, Sandi and I decided to go for breakfast. We arrived shortly before 9:00 a.m. My eyes popped out, looking at all the pastries and fresh bread.


We decided to split a Croque Monsieur and a Quiche. We also individually bought a bunch of pastries to sample and take home. The Croque Monsieur was good though it had already gone cold by the time I paid for the rest of my stuff. I asked the cashier if she could reheat it, and she happily obliged. The quiche was very light and fluffy. I loved it though Sandi thought the quiche I make was better. Can't argue there. 


I remember Cindy raving about their Cannalé. So I had to get one of those. I couldn't resist not sampling the Éclair Café, Mini Pain aux Raisins, Apple Tartlet, and the Chouquette. When I got home later, I first tried the Cannalé, which was the best I've ever had. It really was perfect in every way. This is the French version of a mochi-type dessert plus the alcohol. The Choquette was lovely, hollow inside light as a cotton ball, perfect for an afternoon snack with tea or coffee. The Pain aux Raisins was also delicious, and so was the Apple Tart. None of the pastries was too sweet, which I loved.







We both got the Parisien Sandwich for dinner. After heating this in the toaster oven, everything came alive. The Jamon de Paris, Emmenthal cheese, and salted butter went well with their fresh-baked French bread. Next time I would like to try the Caprese, Brie and Iberico sandwiches. 

The Olive Sourdough Loaf was unusually light. I had a quarter of the loaf the following day. I heated it up a bit (not toasted) and had it with just salted butter (no jam) to get the taste of the bread. I am not one to just butter the bread and let it melt. You have to take a piece of butter, preferably a thick chunk, and slap it on the bread. I totally enjoyed and loved this bread.


I think this bakery needs to work on getting more organized. The person helping me and Sandi was doing everything. Cooking our sandwich, getting the pastries we ordered, so by the time I had to pay, the breakfast was already cold. Someone else should handle all the cooking for efficiency. I asked for my receipt instead of an email but never got it. Later, Sandi discovered that she never got the French bread she paid for. 

Sweet Wheat is located at 1430 S. Pacific Coast Hwy. in Redondo Beach, California. They are open every day from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 







No comments:

Post a Comment