Saturday, March 13, 2021

Sweet Jill's Bakery

Last Sunday, they featured Sweet Jill's Bakery on Channel 5 on the news as "Hometown Pride" in Long Beach. The cinnamon rolls looked so good. I got all excited because I remembered that my son was in Long Beach for the day, so I immediately sent him a text to see if he could swing by there on the way home. Since he had borrowed my car, I think he felt he had no choice but to happily oblige.

I had him buy 6 pieces; 3 with and 3 without the nuts, plus one piece of upside-down cake. As soon as he arrived that afternoon, he went directly to the bathroom scale to weigh the bag. The bag was apparently so heavy that he couldn't wait to find out how much it weighed. The box weighed 6 lbs 2 ounces! I had no idea how humongous the pieces were. Half was plenty for one serving. 

We had to microwave the bun for the icing to melt a bit. These cinnamon buns are heavy and dense. It went well with coffee the following day. I had half with nuts and half without. I liked the one with nuts better, even if I normally don't like nuts. I had a hard time finishing what was on my plate, which is unusual. I found it to be too sweet. The gooey cinnamon inside the bun was delectable. I think the icing could have been a lot less sweet, maybe even by adding some alcohol? The upside-down cake was moist and delicious which we had for dessert. 

Anyway, if you like cinnamon buns, it's worth trying these. It's a matter of taste, so I'm sure people like them, and that's why they have been around for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment