Sunday, August 9, 2020

Vietnamese Spring Rolls

My friend Berenice came and gave us cooking lessons on how to make Vietnamese Spring Rolls. She brought most of her ingredients. I only had to buy fresh shrimp. She thought the spring rolls would not be enough for a meal, so she planned to make some Pancit (Filipino noodles). I got some pork and extra shrimp to include in the pancit.


The preparation was time-consuming. Chopping all the vegetables, marinating the chicken breast in her homemade teriyaki sauce, deveining the shrimp, then cooking the chicken and then shredding them. The two of us were very busy. She was like Chef Gordon Ramsey, bossing me around! I finally said we need one more sous chef, so I called Sandi so she could help assemble the spring rolls. Everyone had to work for this meal. It was not an easy task. Rolling the wrapper took practice. It was either too fat, and the wrapper would tear or too thin. After wrapping, we had to wrap it again in saran wrap so as not to dry out. 

The pancit was easier since everything went into the pan, and that was it.



The fruits of our labor were gratifying. The spring rolls were absolutely delicious, especially after it was dipped in her homemade peanut sauce. We all had two to start, but after a few hours, we had two more along with the pancit. Will I ever make this dish again.....not in a million years. The next time I have a craving for Vietnamese Spring Rolls, I will most likely go to a restaurant. It will never be as good, but life is too short to spend so much time in the kitchen!Thank you ever so much, Berenice, for a job well done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment