Tuesday, August 11, 2020

German Apple Pancakes

What a delightful guest to have. She cooks dinner and breakfast for you; that's my friend Berenice. When she said she was going to make pancakes, I thought they would be just regular pancakes. She brought the batter she made from home and a bunch of apples.

The only problem was flipping the pancakes. Berenice was not used to it since she only watched the cook in the restaurant she and her husband Gerhard used to own; Cafe Cego's. She first cooked the sliced apples in butter, then poured the batter, and sprinkled a mixture of sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. When it looked cooked, it was time to flip to the other side. By flipping, it meant tossing the whole thing up in the air. That was nerve-wracking even for me, the observer. It didn't do what it was supposed to, hence, forget the presentation. She kept apologizing, and of course, I told her I didn't mind because it would not diminish the flavor or taste.


With freshly whipped cream, the apple pancakes were a hit. It was absolutely delicious. So, Berenice, you are welcome anytime, and next time maybe I will try flipping my own pancakes!

2 comments:

  1. I am now an adherent of the oven baked pancake after being fed up of having to stand at the stove making individual regular sized pancakes while others eat! I've made this recipe by putting the apples in a round silicon cake pan, pouring in the batter and baking it. When done, the non-stick silicon pans(they are wonderful) allows you to flip it onto a plate, and the bottom is upside, nice brown and caramelized. Here is one recipe from the "baked pancake" school! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/231278/baked-pancakes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...this sounds a lot better and less stressful. I will have to try this and pass it on to my friend. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete