Tuesday, July 16, 2019

The Hitching Post II

This restaurant was featured in the 2004 movie Sideways with Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church, Virginia Madsen, and Sandra Oh. The Hitching Post make their own wine; 10 selections of Pinot Noir, 2 Syrahs, a Merlot-Cabernet named Generation Red which is their house wine. The restaurant is known for its barbecue steaks.


Sandi and I ordered the Filet Mignon with a baked potato. The meal came with a choice of soup or salad. Sandi ordered the Red Bean Soup and I ordered a salad with blue cheese dressing. The soup was good according to her. I enjoyed my salad which had very good croutons. I also ordered a Shrimp Cocktail which was less than $2.00 more with the meal. I was informed that these were bay shrimp and not the regular shrimp. I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious they were.


Josephine was not too hungry so she ordered the Steamed Mussels from the appetizer section for her main meal with a basket of fries which she was kind enough to share with us. The mussels were very good, however, the sauce didn't quite cut it.


Our steak arrived but it looked sad since there was no sauce, the potato didn't have the butter yet and the dish just didn't grab us. What I'm trying to say is maybe a little presentation would have gotten our palates going. It came with salsa on the side. I asked for another sauce which she brought us. I had one bite of the steak and was absolutely shocked by how tasty and flavorful it was. It really did not need any sauce at all. We both managed to finish the 5 oz. filet. The baked potato was delicious with the ton of butter and sour cream and a generous serving of fresh chives.


The three of us were so full that we didn't even look at the dessert menu. I have to mention that my glass of Pinot Noir Hometown which they make complemented my wonderful steak. The Hitching Post 11 is located at 406 E. Highway 246 in Buellton, California. The other Hitching Post is located at Point Sal Rd. in Casmalia, just outside the border of Vandenberg Air Force Base, 5 miles southwest of Santa Maria, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment