Saturday, July 6, 2019

Modo Mochi Donuts

I discovered this quite by accident. I happened to be at Mitsuwa Market in Torrance last week and saw a line at one of the food booths. I just assumed it was a popular ramen place since it was almost lunchtime. As I finished my grocery shopping I saw the line had grown very long. Being curious, I had to see what it was they were selling. I saw beautiful colored donuts. I immediately made a mental note to come back to see what was so good and different about these donuts. It was only after I looked it up that I learned that they were mochi donuts. This was intriguing to me. When my brother was in the area last week, we planned to have the donuts for dessert after eating sushi. When we arrived, there was a note that said: We are closed as we ran out of ingredients.

Today, Sandi was kind enough to go early and fall in line. I later followed and fell in line with her along with Josephine. They have daily flavors and today was Raspberry, Cookies & Cream, and Taro. We all bought 2-3 boxes of six. There were only 4 employees. One that did the frying of the donuts, one that dipped them in the glaze and one that packed them in containers. The fourth employee took the money. It was a slow process.


After we got our donuts, we immediately got a table for 4 and sampled our mochi donuts. They were still hot. There was no mochi inside but the batter had the mochi so though they were light, they were also chewy like mochi. The raspberry was mixed with white chocolate in it and it had a zing to it. It was unanimous; we all loved them and plan to return so we can sample the other flavors.


Modo Mochi Donuts inside Mitsuwa Market in Torrance, California is a pop-up. It is only there temporarily. We were told that they will be there until July 14 and will be back July 24 until August 5th. I asked them if these donuts can be frozen and the answer was yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment