Thursday, October 13, 2016

Hors d' Oeuvres

I tried to recreate Mertz's sourdough toasts on my previous blog entitled Guests at Mertz's Cabin.
http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2016/09/guests-at-mertzs-cabin.html  Instead of reading my blog to refresh my terrible memory, I just thought I would wing it. I bought the sourdough French bread and added a bit of bacon fat to the butter which I spread over the toasted bread. In a bowl, I mixed goat cheese instead of feta (thought she used goat cheese) and added Japanese mayonnaise and bacon jam. I did not get the same flavor so I added a bit of mustard then topped it with a bit of chopped bacon and basil. I had to make a few without the bacon for my vegetarian friend. Everyone thought it was good and it was, but nothing like Mertz's! The first picture is my imitation toasts and below it was Mertz's. Mine looks like it just had the flu!


I found some burrata cheese so I mixed that with some olive oil, salt and balsamic glaze and served them in individual spoons which was very good. I served some cheese which was just ready made from the market with crackers. I also bought Bristol Farms own regular flavor Pita Chips which I think are fried; reason for it being deliciously insane especially after dipping it in their own Chili Con Queso dip!  We had to have something substantial so I got some chicken wings at Wing Stop. They had numerous flavors. I got the Lemon Pepper and the Louisiana Rub which was a bit spicy. They also offer various dips to go with the chicken: ranch, blue cheese, honey mustard and cheese sauce. I liked the ranch since it did not overpower the chicken which already had lots of flavor.


After all the hors d' oeuvres, I served Calamansi Pie (Philippine lime) which I made with Sandi's Key Lime recipe. It was good but not as good as the one I had at Toby's in the Philippines.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had fun and it looks yummy! I love good hor d' oeuvres.

    ReplyDelete