Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Dulcinea

A visit to Manila without a visit at Dulcinea is an anomaly. Churros Con Chocolate (pronounced chocolatte) is unlike the typical churros most people are accustomed to. These are thin; not like the Mexican or American churros. The Filipinos inherited these amazing churros from the Spanish. The proper way to eat churros is to dip it in the very thick "hot chocolate". I always thought it needed something sweet and regular sugar is too sweet so I always ask for powdered sugar on the side.


We got to the restaurant right after Sunday mass. FYI, the mass is held in a church at the Mega Mall.  At 11:15, it was close to lunch time so 5 of us decided to have something before we settle on the churros. My mom ordered her favorite Gambas al Ajillo; fresh shrimp sauteed in medley of garlic, olive oil with a kick of chili. The reason I never order that is because of the garlic. Garlic permeates through my skin and although it does not bother me, the people around me may suffer. Sandi and I had a bite with rice and my oh my.....it truly was and is outstanding! Dino and I had the Salpicao; tenderloin cubes sauteed in garlic, olive oil and spices. This was served with garlic fried rice......to hell with the garlic. This too was delicious. Sandi ordered the Chicken Sandwich with french fries. I really should have forbidden her to order this as it was to "common". This is not the United States and therefore probably not good. Unfortunately, my suspicions were right. It was not good.


Dulcinea has multiple locations throughout Metropolitan Manila. If you see one, it will be worth your while to stop by and order the Gambas al Ajillo and an order of Churros with a side of powdered sugar (sprinkled all over). You will never look at churros the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment