Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Desserts by Patrick

It's hard to believe I haven't been to see Patrick since he has been there since last year. My friend Cindy told me I had to try his eclairs. Sandi and I on the spur of the moment after eating at Carl's Jr. thought an eclair would be a good dessert. Before we went, I called to make sure they were open and find out if they had some eclairs left. I spoke to Patrick and he informed me he had a few and one of them was coffee so needless to say, I had him save it for me.

We got there and realized this was the old gelato place on Catalina Ave. in Redondo Beach. It still has gelato with the addition of French pastries. We met Patrick and his lovely daughter, Estelle. I bought a variety of items to take home and try. The bakery is quite small so there is no room for people to eat. That was disappointing since there is really no other place like L'Amande Bakery where you could eat wonderful French pastries, breads, and croque madames.


As soon as we got to our car, Sandi opened her package of Tuiles (made with egg white, sugar and almonds). It was very good; we both like the burnt taste. She also got a Raspberry Eclair which she was going to have at home. When I got home, I tried my Coffee Eclair. I decided to just have half of it as I wanted it cold. It was a bit soft as we had to make a stop before I got home. The coffee flavor could have been stronger. I had the other half the following morning for breakfast and the texture was perfect; a bit crusty outside but soft inside. I had mentioned to Estelle that Sandi and I loved the Salted Caramel Eclair at L'Eclair De Genie in Paris. She informed us that they do make them but were all out that late afternoon.


Another item Sandi bought which I did not, was the Cannele. It didn't look too exciting to me. While still in my car, I had a pinch and it was a bit hard so I thought....no good. When I finally got half, I took a bite and whoaahh, I absolutely loved it! It had a very nice flavor; it was chewy outside and still a bit chewy and airy inside. Sandi didn't care for it so she gave them to me. I also sampled 3 of their macarons; the lemon, coffee and chocolate. They were nice and crisp outside but soft and yummy inside. The lemon was my favorite.


While at the patisserie, I got the Chocolate Bears. Estelle explained to me that these are famous with the French children, they loved these bears. They don't make them, they are just imported from France. What she failed to mention is adults love them too, especially yours truly. It was light and not too sweet.


Cindy had mentioned that their Quiches are delicious. She bought a whole quiche for Mother's day and got a variety of eclairs which she served a day after and they were still delicious. I can't wait to try the Salted Caramel Eclair and whatever else I haven't tried........

Desserts by Patrick is located at 1820 S. Catalina Ave., Suite 103 in Redondo Beach, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment