Thursday, March 17, 2016

Le Grande Orange Cafe

I've never been to the Rose Bowl Flea Market. Last weekend we were invited by a friend and after walking around for 4 hours, we were all starving and ready to have a late lunch.

We ended up at Le Grande Orange Cafe at 260 S. Raymond Ave. at the historic Del Mar Train Station in Pasadena. I was confused on what kind of restaurant this was since it had a French name but the menu was American/Mexican; oh well as long as the food was good, they could call it any name they see fit.


We had no reservations but at 2:30 p.m. we thought it would be no problem getting in. It wasn't a problem but we ended up waiting close to half an hour. The place was busy with mostly families with babies and toddlers. When we finally got seated, we had to figure out a strategy on how and what to order. There were too many things that looked appetizing. We all agreed on a pitcher of White Sangria. It was highly recommended by our server. It was very good; I've never had white sangria before. I just found a new friend.


For our appetizer we all thought we would split an order of Lemon Ricotta Hotcakes. It looked nice and light, served with creme fraiche. We got one each. It was one of the best pancakes I have had. We all loved it...I say it.... because we just got 1 each. I could have eaten all three.


Piero had the Short Rib Taco; braised short ribs with kale salad. That was very good but I would not order that since you had to make little tacos; it was not "ready made". Having to make them would be distracting to me and would take away from my eating pleasure.


Sandi had the Sandy's Green Chile Burger with fresh roasted green chiles and melted Tillamook cheddar. I had a bite of that and liked it a lot. I had the Crab Cake Benedict which had jumbo lump crab, spinach topped with a generous amount of Hollandaise sauce. The poached egg was perfect as I pierced it with my fork, the yolk ooozed out like lava flowing from a volcano.


We all can't wait to go back and try other things or maybe even order the same dishes as they were very good. I just wish Pasadena was closer to Palos Verdes as I have been craving for those Lemon Ricotta Hotcakes ever since I've had it.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete