Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Unforgettable Ink

Ink is still one of the best restaurants when it comes to food and service.  You can always count on satisfaction. Jody's birthday is coming up and I decided to have her experience Ink.


She wanted to try the Egg Yolk Gnocchi, mushroom brown butter, hen of the woods (don't really know about the hens).  Our server Daniel  suggested we pop each gnocchi in our mouths as oppose to biting into them. We did just that and as Jody said: " It is so good; I want to cry". Unlike any gnocchi I had, these little pillows were filled with egg yolks that when you bit into it, the gnocchi burst and the egg yolk just oozed in your mouth. It was an "oohhh mama" moment.


The second plate we shared was the Corn with housemade  ranch Foritos (like Doritos) only better with nori, green onion.  I thought Lawry's had the best creamed corn; I stand corrected.These were creamy,tasty and went well with the Foritos. I have had this before so I knew I had to order it again. I also ordered the Beef Tartare, hearts of palm, sea bean chimichurri and horseradish, rye. This was Jody's first beef tartare. I was so happy to see that she really enjoyed it. In my excitement I forgot to take a picture of it.


I always talk about the Salt and Charcoal Potato with housemade sour cream and black vinegar. I love to pretend I am eating charcoal briquettes; that is what they look like. It comes with a little atomizer filled with black vinegar. You spray the charcoal with the vinegar; it made the salty potatoes a bit sour then we dipped it in the wonderful sour cream which made it come together beautifully.


We then proceeded to have the Potato Polenta, with bone marrow and sour cream with chives and the Wagyu Beef Cheek with eggplant, golden raisins and shawarma spice. These two items were good but could not compete with the previous dishes. In other words,  I would probably try something else and make new discoveries.



Dessert did not disappoint. We ordered the a the Apple Caramel Shortbread,burnt wood semifreddo. We were instructed by Daniel to crack the shell with the back of the spoon. The apples were disguised as grapes (that's what they looked like) and the combination and conglomeration of the ingredients were perfect. What a way to end the meal! Happy Birthday Jody......



Ink is located at 8360 Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles.





No comments:

Post a Comment