Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hinoki for Lunch

If you can't find the time to venture into Century City to this great restaurant, Hinoki and the Bird, just go for lunch. It is just as good.  The outdoor seating is the best especially on a beautiful day like it was yesterday.



Six of us went yesterday and out of the 6, two had never been there so the rest of us, old timers served as guides when it came to ordering. We shared a bunch of their little plates and everyone ordered a main dish for lunch. We ordered the 1/2 dozen oysters, which is always fresh and the best beef tartare, a bit spicy with the pickled jalapeno and some parmigiano. The salt & pepper fried calamari with ajwain-tomato jam was of course a hit. The new addition to my repertoire was the sweet corn soup with cilantro and hijiki (sea weed). That was absolutely delicious. The lobster roll on the black roll was very much enjoyed. Chili crab toast with spicy cucumber and coriander is one of my favorites; everyone loved that.






For our main entrĂ©e; my husband had the filet mignon sandwich which I didn't get to try as I was too busy enjoying my chilled ramen salad with ginger braised short rib and spiced English peas. That looked healthy in a good way because as you know, healthy is not a good word in my vocabulary. It had a lot of flavor and was an exciting dish.


Next to me was the miso marinated skirt steak with shaved turnips and chili. I have had this before and it was good with a side order of the white rice. Alma also ordered the sweet potato with sour cream and bacon. That failed to excite me as I am not a sweet potato fan. It would have been better if it was a regular baked potato.  My friend to my right ordered the monkfish with yellow curry noodle, eggplant and herbs. He was very quiet and was really into it. I was not offered to try so I graciously asked (or begged) if I could have a bite. Reluctantly, he agreed. All I can say is I have to order this dish the next time.   It was soooo good. I wonder if they also serve this for dinner?




Most of us ordered dessert. I could not remember what I had the last time and my niece reminded me that I tried her miso mochi the last time and liked it, so I ordered the miso mochi with butterscotch. Yummmm. My husband and 2 other people had the Devil's food cake with guayaquil mousse and praline. That was good but I liked mine better. Ryan had the raspberry macaron with rhubarb, yoghurt sorbet.  According to him, it was good but not great. He would have been happier with any of the mochis.





When I read my older blog on Hinoki and Bird, I forgot all about the Dulce de leche with toffee and cajeta mochi. It was the best ever. For dessert, I suggest you order the 3 different kinds of mochi as they are all delicious.

Here's the link on one of my past visits to Hinoki and the Bird.
http://solittlethyme.blogspot.com/2013/06/hinoki-and-bird-2.html

I look forward to my next visit to Hinoki and the Bird......they are located at 10 Century Drive in Los Angeles. My GPS does not have this address. It is off of Avenue of the Stars and Century Drive is a small street next to the Century Plaza Hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment