Thursday, September 26, 2013

Making Crepes

A chef friend of mine insisted that making crepes is very easy and that you don't need the special pan; any non-stick pan would do. To prove it, she had me and my niece over her house 2 weeks ago and showed us just how easy it was to do.
Of course, the first few we did were not easy as my niece and I were so tense. My niece even made a comment that performing surgery was less stressful.  The good news, is after flipping the 2nd crepe, it did get easier.

The real test was if I could make it on my own. Four of my friends wanted me to show them so I had them over yesterday.  I even bought the same plastic bowl and spatula my friend had. I figured that if I use the same everything.....it will turn out the same way. When they got to my house, I served some hors d 'oeuvres and we had champagne. That was probably not the greatest idea because no one felt like cooking after the champagne. We started with a salad and continued with the champagne....... it was then time to start with the crepes.  I had prepared everything in advance so all we had to do was cook the crepes.  The first one looked like a disaster but was to be expected since the first one almost always is a disappointment; at least in looks. It had the most butter though as I put too much in the pan. The second one was "perfect". So everyone tried their luck with the cooking and flipping. We had some burnt ones and some really good ones. The burnt ones turned out to be more of a toasted tortilla instead of a crepe but soon, everyone got a passing grade. My husband got an F as he didn't even try to do one.





The choices for stuffing crepes are endless.  To make things simple, I opted on just plain Gruyere cheese. It was quite filling.  We waited a bit before we had dessert which was Crepe Suzette.  That was very good though it was too strong for a couple of my wimpy friends but the rest of us loved it. It had a lot of Grand Marinier and at the end was flambed with Brandy.





So, to my friend Ana.....you would have been proud but I must say, it is better to have someone else make it for you so one can just sit and enjoy.

Here are the happy friends shortly before getting too drunk to cook!



No comments:

Post a Comment