Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Joannie's Fruit Cake

You all know what they say about fruit cake. The numerous jokes and how some people use them as doorstops. I have had my share of the terrible hard and dry ones in the past.

My friend Joni who is more like a cousin since her father and my father used to be best friends, loves to cook and bake. I recently had her pumpkin chocolate cake on Thanksgiving and loved it; considering I hate pumpkin and so does she! 

One of Joni's specialties is her Fruitcake. It is her grandmother's recipe. She used to help her grandma make it together with her mom, Tita Julie. She promised to give me one the next time she saw me, which was Christmas Day. I reminded her not to forget my fruitcake, or I would have sent her back home!

The fruitcake was really heavy (weight wise). Two days ago, I decided to try it as I slowly unwrapped the many layers of wrapping. The aroma of the brandy was intoxicating. I couldn't wait to take a slice. As I did, it sort of fell apart but it was a good sign because it was so very moist. I didn't need an electric knife to cut it.




The cake was so incredibly delicious. I haven't had anything like it before. When I called her, she explained to me that all the fruits are individually soaked in brandy, the pineapple, orange and citron peel are individually glazed.There are currants, golden and amber raisins and whole candied cherries. She also uses unsulfured organic molasses which is only sold out of state. I know I'm not doing her justice in explaining this process since I am not a baker. I only remember that she told me it takes about 5 days for the process. So this is not your "buy the ingredients, put it together and pour brandy" kind of cake. 

It really takes a lot of time and love to make this and it's only when you experience the unwrapping, the  whiff of brandy and your first bite will you understand what I am talking about. 

Joni's email address if you are interested in this amazing experience is JoanF@joanofartenterprises.com




No comments:

Post a Comment