Friday, January 6, 2023

Ensaymada Project

I read about these special ensaymadas in the past but dismissed them only because it was simply too far from where I live. My goddaughter, Aimée, brought me a box last Sunday. I couldn't contain my excitement. I wanted to really enjoy it not as a dessert but as breakfast with a strong cup of coffee with whipping cream.

I thought about it before going to bed and woke up in the middle of the night thinking about breakfast. I made sure I walked my 2 miles to eat it guilt-free. It is recommended that you microwave the ensaymada for 8-15 seconds. My first pick out of the six was the Salted Caramel. I may have overdone the heating, but oh did it look wonderful. I sort of inhaled it even if I tried to savor each bite. The caramel melted a bit, but the ensaymada itself was light and a bit chewy, which I've never experienced in an ensaymadas I've had in the past. I couldn't help myself, but somehow, it was like I was possessed, and without thinking, I reached for another one. This time it was the Salted Duck Egg which may seem weird or even terrible to people who haven't had duck eggs. This was delicious as well. A slice of the duck egg on top of queso de bola (aged edam cheese, usually sold only on Christmas), and sweet buttercream. After having two, I thought that I should just have one a day to make them last longer.


Day three was the Mango ensaymada. I kept thinking this might be their downfall. Everything can't be that good. I was wrong. It did have the beautiful flavor of mango, so delicious. I thought of Sandi as this is her favorite fruit. 

Day four was the Cookie Butter Crumble. Biscoff cookie butter in salted buttercream and chocolate chip cookies. I actually liked the fact that the ensaymadas melt a bit when heated. You really taste all that butter and deliciousness.

The fifth day was the Banana Chocolate. You could really taste the banana. Though I am not a fan of Nutella, this was not bad since it was just a small portion on top. 

I saved what I thought would be the best for the last. It was Queso de Gouda. I love Queso de Bola but they didn't have it that day. I do love Gouda cheese, so I was sure it would not disappoint. Boy oh boy, it was to die for. 



These ensaymadas are the best I've ever had, and I've had special ones in the Philippines, which are specially ordered not from a store but from private parties. 

Ensaymada Project is located at 24811 Railroad Ave., B/C in Newhall, California. You could go to their website and see the many flavors they offer. They also ship!





2 comments: