Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Yellow Vase

What I do not understand is why this place is still in business. When they opened a long time ago, I recall it being good, not the best but good enough. A few years after, the quality declined.  It has been at least 6 years since I've been to one of their locations.

Sandi and I were craving the 49ers and the Potato Pancakes at the Original Pancake House yesterday. When we got there, we realized that it was Tuesday and they are closed on Tuesdays. Though we were disappointed, we went to Krust for the Lemon-Custard Donuts and forgot that they are closed Monday and Tuesdays. So we drove by Catalina Ave in Redondo Beach, and Sandi, who also did not like Yellow Vase, thought we should check it out. Maybe they got better. We walked in, and they had nice Tango music, and the ambiance put us in the mood.....for just a good time. The pastries looked good. We had had their crepes before but were not impressed, so we decided on the pastries. I had the one with lots of raisins to go with my coffee. Sandi ordered the Apricot Croissant. My raisin pastry looked a lot better than it tastes. The saving grace was the abundance of raisins that made it edible. Otherwise, it was on the dry side and not flakey at all. Sandi's apricot was even drier and tough, and it did have a little apricot something inside. She ate a quarter of her croissant. We both thought it tasted like they were at least a couple of days old. We asked the lady, and she assured us they were fresh. I doubt she would have said: " Yes, they are a old." 



I bought an Apple and Apricot Tart to go for dessert before we tried our breakfast. Those were O.K. but nothing exciting. I also brought a Strawberry Croissant and Blueberry Croissant to take home. The Blueberry was not blueberry; I couldn't tell what it was inside other than it was a bit sweet. I had the so-called blueberry and could only have 2-3 bites and ended up in the trash. 



All I can say is if they truly were fresh, which I doubt, I hate to think how it would taste the following day!

This was a complete waste of money. You are better off going to Krust in Redondo Beach, which is so good, and their pastries are TRULY FRESH, FLAKEY, and BUTTERY GOOD! 




No comments:

Post a Comment