Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Chantrelle Mushroom Chowder

I came across this recipe from the Wall Street Journal, and it looked good, so I decided to try it. The problem was I couldn't find Chantrelle mushroom anywhere. The local supermarkets, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods didn't have it. I have seen them before, but apparently, it's out of season. I decided to buy Crimini mushrooms instead. When I got home, I read the first part of the recipe, saying, "mix of mushrooms" so I really didn't need the Chantrelles.  I also had some dried Shitake mushrooms, so I ended up using the liquid I used to soak the mushrooms for mushroom broth. Since I also could not find mushroom broth at the market, I substituted this for chicken stock, though I think the beef stock might be better next time. 


The soup turned out to be super delicious. My friend, Sujata, loved it. It is straightforward to make, and I made it the day before, refrigerated it, and added the cream the following day. I served it with a salad and got the best French bread from Sweet Wheat. What a perfect meal on a cold day! I have included the recipe below for those interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment