Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Kagura

We went to Kagura for dinner last night. We were there at 5:30 p.m. when they had just opened so it was quite empty at that time. 


I read about this restaurant but I couldn't remember what their specialty was so I asked our server as she pointed to the Millefeuille Katsu Gozen and the Millefeuille Shiso Cheese Katsu Gozen. The only Mille-feuille I know of is a Napoleon, the French dessert made with multiple layers of thin and flaky puff pastry with custard in between them. I am familiar with Tonkatsu which is a breaded deep fried pork cutlet which is often dry. 

Sandi ordered the Millefeuille Katsu Gozen and I had the Millefeuille Shiso Cheese Katsu Gozen. Piero wanted to be good and not order anything fried so he ordered the Grilled Salmon marinated in natural salt. Before our entrees arrived, we had some Edamame which we all enjoyed. The cabbage salad that they served looked a bit sad but the dressing was very good.


Piero's Grilled Salmon was not grilled. It was smoked even if the menu stated "grilled". The salmon had to go back. If my entree wasn't humongous, I would have eaten the salmon. He ended up ordering the Millefeuille Katsu.  I loved my Millefeuille Shiso Cheese Katsu. It had multiple slices of black pork loin cutlet with shiso leaf and cheese. The pork was tender and juicy and the melted cheese made it even taste better with the crunchy and very light shell. I have never had anything like it. I dipped each slice in the katsu sauce with a bit of the spicy mustard. 


I did not know what black pork loin was so I looked it up. Another name for this is Kurobuta which is a black hog which comes from the famed Berkshire pig. This smaller hog has more fat than the regular pig therefore juicier. Why is it that fat is almost always good?

Kagura is located at 1652 Cabrillo Ave. in Torrance, California. They are open for lunch and dinner everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Fat is ALMOST always good?!?! I take exception with the use of almost here. I've enjoyed Kurobuta pork before but never had it explained so thank you, Karina.

    ReplyDelete